Family Movie Night #1: Monty Python and the Holy Grail

For a little while now my friends have been hosting a family movie night.  For each event someone is nominated to pick a movie and we gather on a Sunday night to watch it.  The audience ranges in age from 10 to 80 so nothing is going to please everyone but we all watch it anyway.  Last week was my pick.

As soon as I heard about 'movie night' my mind started considering titles.  The first film I considered was 'Jeremiah Johnson'.  It's not my favorite movie but I thought it had broad appeal.  Jayne thought it would bore the kids though so I moved on.  Next up was Blazing Saddles.  It's one of my favorites comedies but I figured it was inappropriate for the youngest kids.  

Finally I settled in on Monty Python and the Holy Grail.  I know the kids all loved Anchorman, Austin Powers and other silly comedies so I thought they would get a kick out of this as well.  I was concerned both Grandmas might not like it but knew they were good sports and just happy to be hanging out with the extended family.

Within minutes of the film starting it was clear I had totally misjudged the movie's appeal.  The kids where shrugging it off as 'adult humor' while the adult ladies who hadn't seen the film were laughing heartily.  By the end half the kids were asleep and Grandma H. was hailing its comedic prowess. 

Is this a generational thing?  Is finding Monty Python and the Holy Grail funny a sign of being old?   I certainly hope not.   I left the kids my copy of the DVD hoping they'll grow into it.  I just hope it doesn't take them decades to do it.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shark Crackers

Running roughshod or ripshod

Axis, Axes, Axii?