White Birch Tavern Ale

After my American Craft Beer Fest experience that I blogged about a couple of weeks ago, I set out to try more of White Birch's beers.  I found a nice selection at Colonial Spirits in Acton and picked up one bottle each of Wrīgian, Dubbel, Belgian Style Pale, Hop Session and Tavern Ale.

I drank them over a couple of weeks in that order.  I enjoyed each of them but none stood out till I tried the Tavern Ale.  I didn't think I was a fan of smoked beers but this brew has made me a convert.  I've tried a few German beers and some American smoked porters but hit the spot like this balanced brew.  The smoke was very noticeable but not overwhelming.  The malt sweetness nicely contrasted the smokiness.

The name makes it sound like a weak session brew but this bad-boy has a bit of backbone.  It's not kick-you-in-head heavy but at just 8.0 ABV there's a punch.

Unfortunately, Tavern Ale is not one of White Birch's regular brews so I don't know whether I'll ever find another bottle.  I hope I can.  Along with the Hooksett Ale it was my favorite of their beers I've tried.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running roughshod or ripshod

Axis, Axes, Axii?

Gay Cowboys