The 4 Hour Body by Timothy Ferriss



The 4 Hour Body by Timothy Ferriss

I used to be able to get away with describing myself with nice euphemisms like husky and big boned but lately I've just gotten plain fat.  So I decided to do something about it.  "Fit by Fifty" is my new mantra  and I'm going to try and drop that many pounds at least by my birthday in October.
 
In the past I had good success with Atkins but I always felt kind of guilty eating all that saturated fat.  So, I was looking for a diet that emphasized carbohydrate control but also espoused eating  healthy foods.  I was also looking around for a diet I would have a chance of sticking with for a while.

When I first saw this book I just laughed.  I figured it was all gimmick.  The full title is actually: The Four Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat-Loss Incredible Sex and Becoming Superhuman.  I just wanted to loose some pounds, not become a sexual Tyrannosaurus with X-Ray vision so I  dismissed it and moved on.  I considered the Paleo diet and other variations of 'caveman' eating but a funny thing happened while I was doing my research; I kept finding references to the '4 Hour' book.  Okay, I said to myself, perhaps this isn't just a joke and I looked a little deeper.

It turned out the diet being suggested was exactly what I was looking for.  It's a diet that emphasizes beans, vegetables and lean protein and that actually encourages you to cheat 1 day a week.  I've only read the first few chapters on diet and exercise but those alone were worth the price of the book.  It's all very grounded in simple nutritional and behavioral science.

So far I've been following the diet and proscribed behavioral changes for a week and I've lost 10 pounds and an inch from my gut.   I'm not often hungry and I've set my cheat day to fall on Sundays so I can sit back with a couple of beers and nachos and still enjoy the total Football watching experience with my buddies.  

The book claims 20 pounds can be lost in 30 days and I need to loose a lot more than that.  The first week is always the easiest and I'm off to a good start but wish me luck because I'm sure it will tough haul at times.   I'll be tracking my progress here so stay tuned for updated results.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shark Crackers

Running roughshod or ripshod

Axis, Axes, Axii?