Just Watched: Cop Out



Rotten Tomatoes gives this film a whopping 19% and offers this as its consensus: Cop Out is a cliched buddy action/comedy that suffers from stale gags and slack pacing.

If you spend even a few minutes looking around it's easy to see that  most people didn't like this film.  I however am not most people.  I found it fun and kind of charming.  Tracy Morgan is a hoot and the plot and direction was only stale and slack if you'd say the same about a Judd Aptow comedy. 


If you go in thinking this is a normal run-of-the-mill buddy cop action/comedy I could see why you would be disappointed.  There's nothing normal about this film.  The world this film lives in is a world where Tracy Morgan could be a police officer and that's a fucked up place.  Cop Out lives on the absurdity that is Tracy Morgan.  In that respect this film is closer to Bad Boys than Lethal Weapon and in my opinion funnier than either of them.

I like Bruce Willis but he does seem uncomfortable in this movie.  If someone else had been cast in the role I think it would have been more successful. 

Okay, I admit, this isn't a great film but its crime isn't that it was unfunny.   I had very low expectations and was rewarded with a bucket of laughs.  It was a welcome surprise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shark Crackers

Running roughshod or ripshod

Axis, Axes, Axii?