Beer Notes: Sunday Feb 6 2011

I brought my bottle of Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel to my friend's Super Bowl party.  It wasn't a big party so I knew there would be enough for everyone to try it.  I poured it and passed around the glasses.  For the most part everyone hated it - as I expected given their preference for light lager - but they all had a good laugh when I explained about the Civet Cat's involvement with the product.

I can't say much about the beer itself.  Because I was sharing it with so many people I only got a few inches of it and because it's not a style I drink very often I'm not one to judge its relative merits. What I can say is that it pours thick and tastes very, very roasty but it isn't cloying on the tongue.  I wished I had more.


Also at the party I had a couple of Flying Dog Raging Bitch Belgian-Style IPAs.     I'm always torn between Belgians and IPAs so this style is perfect for me.  Besides Green Flash's Le FreakChouffe's IPA Trippel and Lagunitas A Little Sumpin' Wild I don't know anyone who makes it.  I need to find this out because I can't get enough.

Update:
I found this list of Belgian IPAs at beeradvocate.com.   I've had the Stone Cali-Belgique, Victory Wild Devil and Allagash Hugh Malone but none have scratched-the-itch quite like the ones I mentioned above.  

Comments

ShugBear said…
I wonder how much of the civet coffee they use in the beer. The stuff is over $300 a pound.
Pete Lyons said…
I don't recall the exact price but the bottle wasn't that expensive. It was maybe a buck or two more than a similar sized import. I bought it a Colonial in Acton. There wasn't any left on the shelf when I was there on Sunday but I didn't ask if they had any.

Popular posts from this blog

Shark Crackers

Running roughshod or ripshod

Axis, Axes, Axii?