Beer in Ireland

I didn't leave my beer explorer hat at home when I traveled to Ireland so I figure it worth a post from that perspective.

It won't surprise anyone that Guinness is available just about everywhere in Ireland.  What you may not have known is that Bud is readily available too.  They call it "Bud, Ice Cold" and many places even have special taps that get all frosty.  I had no intention of trying it so I can't comment on its taste.    If a place didn't have Bud they probably had Carlsberg on tap.  You can also find people drinking bottles of Coors Light and lots of places had Stella.   I don't know if these beers are for the tourists or whether the natives drink them but I hadn't expected to see so much light lager. 

Smithwicks' Irish Red is nearly as prevalent as Guinness as was Bulmers (Magners' name in Ireland).  What I didn't see a lot of was Harp.  I meant to ask a local why that was but never did. 

New beers I got to try: O'Hara's Iris RedGalway Hooker Pale Ale and Porterhouse Brewing Hop Head and Oyster.  Good stuff all around.



Comments

James said…
I've been to Ireland about 5-6 times over the past few years and can tell you the locals definitely drink Carlsberg and Magner's/Bulmer's just as much as they drink Guinness. They also have a taste for Heineken.

The most bizarre thing I saw was in a little pub in the town of Ballyhooly, north of Cork. Old farmer came in and ordered the usual, which was a half glass of Miller (yes, really) and a glass of water. He then proceeded to top up the Miller with water. Yes, really. Damn near fell off my bar stool watching that!
Pete Lyons said…
Funny. Sort of a make-your-own version of a MGD 64.

Popular posts from this blog

Shark Crackers

Running roughshod or ripshod

Axis, Axes, Axii?