Welch-Dickey Loop hike

 I hiked the Welch-Dickey Loop trail this weekend.  This is a 4.4 mile trail that starts just a short way off Rt 49 in Campton/Waterville.  I had wanted to hike Osceola from Tripoli road but found the road still closed.  This was a spur of the moment backup plan and it was a great find.

If you like ledge scrambles (and who doesn't) this trail is for you.  I ascended the steeper Welch approach and had some real slippery moments as some drizzle wet the rock but overall had no difficulty beyond a few rock  ledge steps that I had to overcome in less than graceful fashion. 

For years I've held the Cardigan climb I did last week as the cream of the crop in terms of its ease of effort to greatness of reward ratio but I think this climb tops it.  Cardigan is a bit easier overall because you can skip a lot of the exposed rock if you're not feeling up for it but the views on Welch-Dickey start about a mile from the trail head and don't stop from there.

The hike last weekend hobbled me for most of the following week so I was really pleased to find this hike did less damage. I'm sore but I'm not limping. It's progress.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shark Crackers

Running roughshod or ripshod

Axis, Axes, Axii?