Some thoughts on Game of Thrones

I've been loving the HBO series Game of Thrones.  I'm bummed the season is almost over.  As a fan of the books I've been pleasantly surprised by the faithfulness of the adaptation.  Even though I know the overall story arc I'd forgotten enough of the details that I've been enjoying many fun moments of re-acquaintance as the story unfolds.  I'm going to be following the off season casting news of Stannis and Brienne of Tarth with great anticipation.

As for the greater story, while reading some of the online chatter regarding the series and the books I stumbled upon a theory regarding Jon Snow's birth that I'd never entertained before.   If you enjoy speculating consider this.  Jon Snow is the child of  Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen.  Ned never had an affair but instead was protecting his nephew from Robert Baratheon's wrath.  This means Lyanna probably loved Rhaegar and didn't want to marry Robert at all.   It makes perfect sense in so many ways.  My only shred of doubt stems from it being too perfect.  You can read a lot more on the theory here.

Since finishing Feast for Crows I've had a feeling Jon and Daenery going to hookup at some time.  I don't know if this makes it more or less likely - they're already family.   It's weird but the Targaryn's predilection for incestuous relationships leaves the door wide open.   I doubt these questions will be answered in 'A Dance with Dragons' but I still can't wait for July 12th.  I'm going to be paying attention to scenes with Jon and fire more often now. 

One final question for consideration.  Since we know Daenery is a Targaryen and we now believe Jon Snow is a Targaryen, is there a third Targaryen lurking out there?  Three dragons, three headed dragon sigil, dragons come in threes.  Food for thought.

Update: I found this theory regarding a possible third Targaryen.   I don't buy it as told in the essay but I agree with the comments.  According to the theory Tyrion is Jon's half brother.  They certainly had a connection during their brief meeting.  I wonder.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running roughshod or ripshod

Axis, Axes, Axii?

Gay Cowboys