Bison Country BBQ

In celebration of the end of softball season,  Jayne and I headed out together for a lunch date that was more centered on finding a good burger than finding good beer.  Lucky for us we found both.  The place was Bison Country Bar and Grill on Moody St in Waltham, MA.

The first thing I noticed as we sat down at the bar was the Clown Shoes Tramp Stamp on tap.  I'm not a huge fan of Clown Shoes beers but the fact that they were pouring Tramp Stamp instead of the more ubiquitous Clementine was a great sign.  Without even checking the rest of the beer menu I ordered one.

The bar area itself was well worn but comfortable.  It had the feel of a place that sees a lot of happy customers.    

Jayne loves Buffalo Shrimp and spotted them when she opened the menu so we ordered some for a snack while we decided on lunch.   They were good.  The shrimp were a nice size.  The sauce was generic but fine.  Like a lot of Buffalo Shrimp, presentation was kind of messy and unimpressive but overall we were both satisfied with the snack.

For lunch Jayne ordered a Buffalo cheese burger with their bacon chutney and I ordered their Fire Wings which the menu describes as "crazily hot".

Jayne loved the burger.  I had some too and it was very tasty.  I didn't try the fries but Jayne reports they were kind of soggy.

The Fire Wings were very yummy, they had lots of nice smokey, fire roasted flavor, but they were not hot.  Not the least bit hot.  The only person who would think they were hot was a person who chokes on a drop of Tabasco.   I love spicy so I was disappointed by the lack of fire but enjoyed them all the same.

For my second beer I switched over and had a bomber of Clown Shoes Lubrication.  The label, with its semi-phallic gas pump nozzle, had created a minor controversy in MA beer circles and I wanted to see what it looked like in person.  You can barely see the nozzle on the bottle.  I explained the whole thing to Jayne and she just shrugged - not impressed.

We also placed a take-out order of their 'Spicy South Carolina Wings'.  They were the same great wings as the Fire Wings but with a mustard based sauce.  Again, not spicy but very good.

All in all it was a nice time.  It wasn't perfect but it was much better than the typical chain restaurant's  corporate-mandated-mediocrity in the same price range.   Pete and Jayne approved. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shark Crackers

Running roughshod or ripshod

Axis, Axes, Axii?