But I Want the Digital Version

With frustrating regularity I'm finding that the books I want to read are not available in a digital format.  I understand that publishers are running into conflicts over publishing rights and that there are costs associated with converting books to digital but it is still annoying.

Among the recent list NPR compiled of people's favorite science fiction or fantasy novels,  I couldn't find any of the following for the Nook.  That's 21 of 100 of the most popular books/series as voted by the public.


7.  Fahrenheit 451 - (Pre-order only)
34. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
35. A Canticle for Leibowitz
40. The Amber Chronicles
41. The Begaraid series
44. Ringworld
45. The Left Hand of Darkness
47. The Once and Future King
49. Childhood's End
50. Contact
55. The Last Unicorn
58. The Chronicle of Thomas Covenant
66. The Riftwar Saga
70. The Time Traveler's Wife
76. Rendezvous with Rama
79. Something Wicked This Way Comes
87. The Book of the New Sun
91. The Illustrated Man
92. Sunshine
96. Lucifer's Hammer
100. The Space Trilogy


It doesn't stop there either.  I've been reading books suggested by bestfantasybooks.com.  I really like their suggestions but from their top 25 there are 4 series I can't find in digital format.  Three of which are in the top 10.

#5 The Black Company
#6 Gormenghast
#7 The Blade Itself
#24 The Riftwar Saga

I know, I can always read the paper versions but damn, I love reading on my iPhone.

Comments

m@ said…
Some of these are available on Kindle and there is a Kindle app for iPhone and the desktop.
Pete Lyons said…
Yeah, I thought about that. I actually checked both B&N, Amazon and the Apple bookstore for the books I'm most interested in reading (the four from bestfantasybooks.com) but didn't find them.

Popular posts from this blog

Running roughshod or ripshod

Axis, Axes, Axii?

Gay Cowboys