Ten Years

The highlighted text below was my first blog post from April 28, 2003.


My name is Pete Lyons and I’m a software developer. My current employer is IBM but this log isn’t about that. I’ve been writing software professionally since 1984. I spent a lot of time as a ‘UI guy’ but I now find myself parsing protocols and working on transactional backend system more. I intend this log to deal with thoughts and ideas about software development that I don’t see other places. I hope this won’t become a nepotistic link fest like so many web logs I’ve seen. But then again, I’m not a writer so lack of things to say or the time to write the content could lead to that. Let’s hope not.


My favorite technical topics to read about are Java programming, Scripting Languages (especially Ruby), and Patterns. My favorite non-technical topics include off-beat movies, books, dogs, food, spirits (the kind you drink), current events and football (the American kind). Whether this log has anything to do with these things, time will tell.


Did you notice I called it a 'log'? It was so long ago that 'blog' wasn't a common term.

It's been a fun ten years but I had higher hopes for it when I started.  The blog never really found a footing and I certainly never wrote much about software development.   With the advent of social sites like Facebook, it's function as a tool for sharing thoughts or interesting finds with my friends diminished as well.  

My most popular posts are as esoteric as my blog. The post that gets the most hits is one I wrote about my confusion around the words roughshod and ripshod, another that gets a lot of hits is about the genesis of my love for saltines.  I'm rather proud of that last one.  Unfortunately, some of my best posts (IMHO) were lost when I abandoned my home-grown blogging software back in 2008.

If anything else, it's an interesting personal record of the evolution of my interests.  My philosophical and political meanderings, my poetry phase, my general desire to learn to write better, learning to play the guitar, all have been captured for anyone to read about.  I amuse myself by pondering the possibility that some future sociologist's research AI will scan these these pages on a web archive and find some tiny shred of information about the human condition.

This isn't the end.  The blog will lives on.  What will the next ten years bring?  Well, I'm still a fan of books and movies, so there's a good chance they'll show up.  Also, guitar and music.  Count on them.   And beer.  Got to have beer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shark Crackers

Running roughshod or ripshod

Axis, Axes, Axii?